Thursday, October 1, 2009

My Dinner with Andre (1981) (Thursday, October 1, 2009)

I have to admit, having never seen this film before and hearing about it through the years, I was a bit worried about what I'd find at the theater. But when the opportunity presented itself to see it (as part of the New York Film Festival), I decided I should try it out. I gotta say - it's a great movie!

It is funny and fresh and wonderfully playful and post-modern. I don't totally know how Louis Malle is able to have a nearly-two-hour dinner conversation remain gripping and interesting throughout, but he does. Wallace Shawn is hilarious and Andre Gregory is compelling and bizarre and fascinating (the script, written by the two of them, is great). It's a long one to get through - and I'm not sure it would have worked as well for me on the small screen in my living room - but it's worth it. It's also one of the most effective tongue-in-cheek uses of a voice over in recent memory.

... and then they danced and drank all night until dawn ...

Stars: 4 of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment