Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Best and Worst Films of 2009

So here it is - my Top Ten list for movies released in New York City in 2009. Out of 214 films seen in the year these are the best. Forgive me for listing so many honorable mentions, but I couldn't hold back and, hey - it's my freaking list, so I can do what I want. You might notice that some of the films did not necessarily get four stars from me when I first saw them. I guess I should say that some movie stick with me a bit longer than the time it takes to write the blog, some of them getting a bit better and more solid over time. I've linked to the reviews, when available. Of course films that I saw before June (before I began this blog) don't have reviews. I'm thrilled with this list - I think it was a pretty solid year for movies and these are all really fabulous.

Best Films of 2009
1)
Police, Adjective

2) Hunger

3) 24 City

4) The Sun

5) In a Dream

6) Katyn

7) The Windmill Movie

8) Hurt Locker

9) Two Lovers

10) Inglorious Basterds


Honroable Mentions:

Medicine for Melancholy, Revanche, The Country Teacher, Goodby Solo, The Informant!, District 9, Lorna’s Silence, Treeless Montain, Observe and Report, Beaches of Agnes, Still Walking, Home


Worst Films of 2009

1) Julia

2) Antichrist

3) Avatar

4) Tyson

5) Gamorrah

6) Lymelife

7) Whatever Works

8) Public Enemies

9) Orphan

10) The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard

3 comments:

  1. woah. you didn't like Gamorrah? WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTF on Gomorrah indeed. But I'm still laughing: every time you referred to "The Windmill Movie" in conversation, I thought you were referring generically to "the windmill movie," whose title escaped you. But the darn thing is actually CALLED "The Windmill Movie." It's like an elaborate joke and the penny finally dropped for me.

    ReplyDelete