Sunday, July 26, 2009

In the Loop (Sunday, July 26, 2009) (99)

The movie is a screwball comedy about a mid-level British bureaucrat who make a misstatement and unwittingly gets the US and UK governments geared up for war. At least I think that's what it is. The problem is that I really can't say what this is about because it was such a mess and so sloppy that I couldn't totally follow it.

I guess it's supposed to be funny and supposed to have clever and sharp dialogue - but I didn't feel either of these things. Mostly it's too frenetic and the jokes (some of which are funny) feel mostly forced and out of place in most moments. I guess it could be a very cynical look at modern Western government (where a White House department head is 22, for instance), but I thought the critique was thin and watery at best.

Easily the best thing in the movie is the performance by Steve Coogan in a very small cameo part. He's very funny and his timing is excellent. Sadly, his scenes are the only really funny parts of the movie (even if I have no idea where they fit in the plot). This is not a good movie.

Stars: 1 of 4


No comments:

Post a Comment