Sunday, August 23, 2009

Passing Strange (Sunday, August 23, 2009) (121)

This movie is simply a taped performance of the stage musical Passing Strange. According to the credits, Spike Lee directed this movie. I don't totally understand what this means as the musical was already directed for the stage (by Annie Dorsen) - but I guess Spike figured out where the cameras should be... or something.

I actually saw this musical on Broadway - which is unusual for me. I thought it was rather dull and I didn't love the music. My feelings aren't really changed after seeing the movie.

The story is about a young black man who grows up in Los Angeles and then moves to Amsterdam where he discovers sex and drugs and then moves to Berlin and then goes back to LA.

As a movie, there's nothing really here. This could have been shot on Spike's home movie camera for all I know. There was nothing especially cinematic about it. I guess if you liked the show - or didn't see it but wanted to - it's interesting to see. But, whatever - I'm not into it.

Stars: 1 of 4

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't a big fan of the musical, but I did think the first half worked pretty well and that Stew and many of the actors were engaging. Def just a record of the show, rather than anything more, though, as you say.

    ReplyDelete