Saturday, June 20, 2009

Earth (Saturday, June 20, 2009) (68)

I decided that if I was going to see this I should see it on the big screen so I could get the most out of all the great cinematography. I don't totally regret seeing it, but it was not totally wonderful either.

My biggest gripe about it is that the structure was neither geographic, nor seasonal, nor chronological. We begin in the Arctic with a 'family' of polar bears, then later skip to a brief story of a lynx - then on to birds near the Equator, then a family of elephants. It was very hard to follow. No surprise, many of the pictures are amazing - especially the fish schools and bird flocks.

It was ok but not great - I don't know how it will work on a TV - maybe HD and Blu-ray will make it look good.

Stars: 2 of 4

3 comments:

  1. It's condensed from the TV series, right? If you haven't watched Blue Planet and the sequel Planet Earth, they are really great, visually stunning blah blah blah. And I'm not a big nature person. I get nervous if I'm too far away from concrete for more than a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's its own thing - not connected to the others or to a TV show... I think it's Disney trying to look like they give a shit about nature. There was some ad before the film from Disney saying that Walt loved nature films (but it didn't say he hated Jews)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, it's definitely taken from the Planet Earth TV series and condensed into a movie. The same people are credited and I interviewed them when they were condensing and making a theatrical version with a new score so people could see it on a big screen

    ReplyDelete