Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Proposal (Tuesday, June 30, 2009) (79)

I'm not totally sure why this movie is set in Alaska.

I'm also not sure why this movie was made (well, money is the reason). It's a dumb and hackneyed concept and the lead actors in it are almost totally monotone and dumb. Well, I guess I should say that Sandra Bullock is totally unappealing (always has been), and though I guess Ryan Reynolds is funny-ish (with a good script), he's not a really funny guy.

But Alaska - it's easily the most random place to set this movie. I want to blame Sarah Palin for this, but, sadly, I think it was in production before she was known.

There is almost no life on screen in this movie. Sandra Bullock is totally dull and badly cast (or badly written). She's supposed to be some sort of Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada - but she's not that old or that evil - so that whole thing doesn't work. She delivers lines like she's bored and she bored me in the process. Reynolds is ok - but his character is limited (so Bullock can get the laugh lines?) and he doesn't have much to work with.

The writing is terrible and the second and third acts are really, really dull. After about 10 minutes in Alaska, I wanted to go back down to the lower 48.

Betty White is actually really great - even working with a terrible script. She deserves credit for being a really great comedienne and being the only respectable thing in this movie.

Stars: 1 of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment